Re: notes on building fds in etch and a failed build question

hello Ryan,

you tried this version? i have two fedora-ds 1.0.4 in mmr configuration. i migrate one of those to 1.1 (builded by your and Rich's instrutctions). but i have a problem with memory usage of ns-slapd process. initially mem usage is 18.5% but after 2 hours this changed to 23.1% and growed until killed by kernel. (i think...)

mostly read transactions happen (dns) with a few write (cups).
this is a debian etch, mem size is 512 mbyte (i know this is too low, but this is a test environment). cache size of slapd is 67108864.

can you give any help?

thanks,

KeeF

Ryan Braun wrote:
A couple little bugs creeped up during the build.  I think it was during
the make install of ldapserver.  One of the binaries (the first one I
guess) was copied to /opt/dirsrv/bin (the bin being a file not a
directory) so the /opt/dirsrv/bin directory isn't getting created.  Quick
fix was just renaming /opt/dirsrv/bin to /opt/dirsrv/bin.something and
rerunning make. Executing /opt/dirsrv/bin.something looks like the binary
might be ldappasswd?
Probably a bug in ds/mozldap/Makefile in the install section.

I had a peek in there, it looks ok, but I'll add a mkdir -p /opt/dirsrv/bin before the copy loop and see if that works next time I build.
Second,  there seems to be a missing library.

Starting admin server . . .
output: ERROR: ld.so: object '/opt/dirsrv/lib/libssl3.so' from LD_PRELOAD
cannot be preloaded: ignored.
output: apache2: Syntax error on line 123
of /opt/dirsrv/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/httpd.conf: module log_config_module
is built-in and can't be loaded
Could not start the admin server.  Error: 256
Failed to create and configure the admin server
Exiting . . .

I assumed the libssl3.so was supposed to be provided by building nss from
source.  So I just symlinked the system's libssl3.so provided by
libnss3-0d back to /opt/dirsrv/lib/.
Ok.  Or just edit the start-ds-admin script.  Looks like a bug - it
should use the correct path to libssl3.so.  But then the NSS devel
support in etch is not quite there.

Gotcha

Which leads me to my next question.  The java components,  are they only
required for running the console on your client machines?  So building
with NOJAVA=1 will provide a fully working adminserver and ldapserver, just no console binaries?
Mostly correct.  The only thing is that the way the console works, it
downloads the ds and ds-admin jar files from the admin server.  However,
if you build them on the client machine and install them into
$HOME/.fedora-idm-console/jars then the console will just use the local
ones.

Ok, well I tried installing the windows console on one of the windows boxes around here (easier then downloading fc isos :) ), fired up the console and am able to connect and it looks like it wants to work, then it reports back that it can't find the jars. So that being said, is there an easy way to use FC jars, or do I need to build them for debian? (I have started trying to build jss but am having some issues)

To be honest,  I haven't really looked into the different post install
process' with 1.1.0 since 1.0.4 so the reason I could have missing
entries in the console could very well be my own fault :)

Also,  if I want to fine tune the location of some of directories during
build.  is it safe to modify the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable in the
adminserver and ldapserver's Makefile?  I want to put
/opt/dirsrv/etc/dirsrv into /etc/dirsrv aswell as /opt/dirsrv/var into
/var?
Yes, for those components whose configure respect --sysconfdir and
--localstatedir - which means not the mozilla components (mozldap, etc.)
but everything else should work just fine.  You'll also have to tweak
the --prefix argument which is set by default.

I'll play around with some options. I've started a wiki page for the debian build. I don't have it linked onto the main page, but you can check it out in recent changes.

Ryan