Re: FDS and OpenLDAP integration

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Richard Megginson wrote:

But there are ways to sync data from Fedora DS to OpenLDAP also.  You
just can't do both directions at the same time.  How could I word that
appropriately?

Can you elaborate on that?  From the Wiki, it seems that there are some,
but they're undocumented.
I haven't had time to properly test and document this, but there are at least 3 ways that I know of. 1) Enable audit logging, and use a process to periodically read from the audit log and send those changes to another ldap server.
2) Enable audit logging, but use a named pipe instead of a file.
1 and 2 could probably be a Net::LDAP perl script or a python-ldap script - read in the LDIF change records from the audit log, convert to LDAP add/modify/delete commands. 3) Use the Retro Changelog in conjunction with persistent search. This could also be a script (if the LDAP client implementation understands Fedora DS persistent search) that does basically the same thing as 1 and 2 above.

The other way 'round (OL => FDS), one could try out OpenLDAP's
slapo-accesslog(5) in the changelog-like variant (haven't tested, could
need some hacking).  THis should work fine with changelog (Retro
Changelog).

Or (and it would probably be a big plus for RFC 4533) FDS could be added
a plugin that makes use of LDAP Sync.  I note that, for applications
that do not want to reinvent the wheel, OpenLDAP's libldap that ships
with 2.4 provides a ldap_sync API that hides RFC 4533 details, so one
only needs to deal with making use of the results of the various phases
of the sync replication.
That's good to know.  Thanks!
p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati