Re: Performance

Vampire D wrote:
Another member on the list who does consulting with LDAP as well as someone who works for Cisco/IronPort.
That's why we have been looking at FDS.

If you Howard Chu is to be believed, Cisco is a lousy reference for LDAP (see message from 7/18).

http://highlandsun.com/hyc/SambaXP.pdf

Howard notes that Richard Megginson reviewed the configuration of the FDS server used in the benchmark.

In my own experience, OpenLDAP leaked memory, was prone to db corruption, and was a lousy development platform (attributes requested by alias were returned by canonical name, which makes aliases useless in application development). Those were pretty serious problems, but I haven't used OpenLDAP in several years. Symas *looks* like it's pretty serious about making OpenLDAP a better platform. A lot can change in several years' time.

I'm comfortable with FDS. It's more than fast enough for what I need, it's stable, and applications developed on FDS are easily portable to Sun's directory server. However, if OpenLDAP is developing into a compelling platform, then I'm more inclined to test my applications against it, and consider it for future deployments.