Re: Re: password policy on FDS 1.0.2 - doesn't seem to work?

Philip Kime wrote:
Many thanks for the reply, helpful as always!

I'm not sure what PAM is doing here.  You can always verify that you
are being properly > restricted on password syntax by using ldapmodify
or ldappasswd from the command line.

It seems not - ldappasswd doesn't enforce the policy whether I bind with
the user in question or Directory Manager. I've tried with subtree
policies and also user-only policies. If I try to change the password in
the GUI, the password policy works ok.
Check the access log for the server, and you may also need to turn on the trace level error logging.
This entry has objectclass ldapSubEntry, which means it is hidden from
normal searches.

Hmm, I wonder if PAM and ldappasswd are not finding the policies as a
result of this? There is nothing interesting in the access log - I can
see the extop password operation line but it doesn't say anything about
the filter used to look for password policy objects? Is there perhaps a
way to include ldapSubEntry objects in normal searches?
No. The policy is supposed to be enforced on the server side. The client should not be attempting to use the policy settings on the server.
PK