Re: Re: setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Ulli Horlacher wrote:

On Thu 2005-12-22 (08:04), Richard Megginson wrote:

If I understand you correctly, start-setup and start-slapd are scripts
which will be generated by startup/startup?
Yes.

Nice to know that I have understood at least SOMETHING :-)
Yes. It's not intuitive if you are familiar setting up OpenLDAP and other FOSS server software.

Continue? (yes/no) y
Please select 1, 2, or 3 (default: 2)
getFQDN: hostname = lanldap2
getFQDN: host lanldap2 = lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
getFQDN: new max host lanldap2 has length 9
getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
getFQDN: new max host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9

Hostname to use (default: lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de)
Server user ID to use (default: nobody)
Server group ID to use (default: nobody)

It should have asked you many more questions here - about other aspects of server configuration.

Yes I was asked many more questions:

Fedora configuration directory server? [No]: Do you want to use another directory to store your data? [No]: Directory server network port [389]: Directory server identifier [lanldap2]: administrator ID [admin]: Suffix [dc=rus, dc=uni-stuttgart, dc=de]: Directory Manager DN [cn=Directory Manager]: Administration Domain [rus.uni-stuttgart.de]: Administration port [47328]: Run Administration Server as [root]: Apache Directory [/usr/sbin/]:
I confirmed all defaults (besides the password, of course) and then I got:

[slapd-lanldap2]: starting up server ...
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .

These other questions from above are not found in the log-file.
Ok.  I just wanted to make sure that was not a problem.

problems. Are you starting from scratch when you attempt to run setup again? That is, do you
rpm -e fedora-ds
then
rm -rf /opt/fedora-ds
?

Yes.

I could now have a closer look (sh -x) at the setup-script, but I will use
another approach: I have now installed fedora core 4 in vmware. I will later go back debugging FDS on SLES 9. My boss wants a running LDAP server NOW :-}
Sorry about that. It's just that we've never tried to build or run it on SLES. I'm afraid you are the first person to step up and actually try it.