Re: [Fedora-directory-users] How about support on Windows ?

Bacchu, Anjan wrote:

Hi All,

   I know that as of now, it is supported on Linux and Solaris, but I'm
wondering what it takes to deploy it on Windows NT(2000, xp, 2003, ETC).

   Since redhat supports cygwin AND originally NDS worked on Windows, it
should NOT be too
difficult. What would be more useful would be a native port of NDS on
Windows (minGNU comes to mind) what with APR(http://apr.apache.org/) available.
How would APR help? We already use NSPR as our OS abstraction layer (which is what Firefox et. al. uses).

Are there any efforts to a) come out with a binary for windows
We haven't planned to do one. We would probably consider it if there is enough demand.

b) help anyone who's already working on a windows port.
The server has already been ported to Windows. What this entails is the native Windows environment (not cygwin or mingw) with gmake.exe, MKS shell tools (sh, sed, grep, awk, etc.) and the native Windows compilers (cl.exe, link.exe, etc.). The Windows compilers are available for free for the command line versions only from Microsoft AFAIK - but no debugger or MSVC++.

It would be great to be able to use cygwin and/or mingw. We would certainly appreciate help with this.

c) atleast provide a source level build.

LDAP is seriously needed (and missing) on enterprise infrastructures and
support for Windows(as Firefox showed) will take a product much further than without windows.
Really? Up until DS 7.0, we supported the DS on Windows for several years. We found that most people with Windows deployments either used Active Directory (since they already paid for it), or they were using Samba on unix/linux. Almost everyone who was downloading and using the DS on Windows were just doing it for demonstration and/or evaluation purposes (including the press), because they just wanted to run it on their x86 desktop or laptop, and in those days that necessarily meant Windows. But with the growth of Linux, I can happily run DS 7.1on my RHEL3 desktop or my RHEL4 laptop. Most people planning serious deployments eventually used Unix for the production LDAP server, and now many are using Linux.

Thank you,

BR,
~A