Re: Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Brian Wheeler wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 16:29 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 16:23 -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Well, I'm a long time user and I don't see what the big deal is.  There
are several people on this list which seem to announce that "<insert
change here> is the one that's going to drive long time users away"
and/or "time to look for a new distribution" semi-regularly... yet they
(long time users) are still here.
Maybe they just haven't found anything better (yet)?
Or, speaking for myself, not actually running fedora anymore, just watching to see how much damage is going to make its way into the next RHEL and clones.
So, out of curiosity...Do you run X on your RHEL machines?

They are mostly CentOS, but yes, I run X on the ones that aren't overloaded or overexposed, but I mostly interact via freenx and a more or less roving NX client. For a long time I used an FC6 box as my main desktop machine but for reasons that aren't particularly interesting, have moved it to a less convenient location where it continues to run tape backups and now park an NX login on one screen of a dual-headed XP box and can barely tell the difference. Which means I can just as easily work directly on boxes in remote data centers so I do a lot less locally - and I can pick up the desktops on a laptop or my home machine with everything still running.

Are you
going to switch from RHEL when this change makes it into RHEL6 or
whatever?

At least if a change like this happens it would stay for long enough to be worth remembering it.

I wasn't trying to be unfair.  One of the main reasons I use fedora is
to find out what is coming in RHEL.  I just genuinely curious
considering that alot of his statements on this topic seem to imply that
people will leave due to this change (and possibly others).

It's not so much about the impact of any single change that would make that would cause someone to switch distros, it is more about whether you trust it to be usable in the future, continuing to do as you've learned to expect and continuing to run the scripts you've written to it's conventions.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx