Re: Reasons to preseve X on tty7

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:

Then we need to also teach autofs to start these services on demand.

The problem with this, and with the earlier example of reading (and parseing [and reparseing on every change]) /etc/exports, is that such a solution needs to account for corner cases -- think: LDAP 'add a mount, and deploy homes on demand and on the fly' at a given chassis, etc.

There is no sensible end, nor reasonable purpose to automate ALL possible configuration setups, because it is an NP complete problem and exceeding fragile. (and, as I read this, putting to side the timeouts and performance hit this imposes)

Having all the daemons on for the 1% of Linux users who use NFS  ...

and 67 % of all statistics are fabricated on the spot and have no basis in fact.

Source for '1%' please? -- I simply don't believe it, having deployed and managed 'homes' for thousands of users of Linux in NFS environments.

-- Russ herrold