Re: compat-python, Zope...

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 14.10.2008 11:14, Oliver Falk wrote:
Is there a reason, that there is no compat-python package available?

The short version: The python maintainer didn't want to have one in Fedora and FESCo backed that decision. You will find a lot more about this topic in the archives of this list; for example in this discussion:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00226.html

I doubt the situation changed in between, thus my suggestion would be to put your packages up for review in bugzilla.rpmfusion.org.

If I'm wrong and if the situation has changed then we should try to move the compat-python* packages from RPM Fusion to Fedora.

OK. I think I've read the whole old thread now :-)

First of all: I *will* package compat-python and Zope/Plone, because I need it at work. The only question is if Fedora/FESCo wants me to share my work with the Fedora community or not!

I can think of a Python 2.4 package that lives within the Zope tree to make it extra hard for others to use it by accident - but I don't think that this would be neat, seen from a FHS point of view.

I'm not a big fan of third party repositories. DOT. This would lead to an extra discussion...

a) I maintain Zope/Plone (+ deps, eg. compat-python) in Fedora
b) I maintain it on my *private* company repo
c) NOTE!: I guess this will lead to packages a la compat-python24-{elementtree,feedparser,imaging,lxml,setuptools,psycopg} and maybe a whole bunch of others...

So. FESCo? Do you want me to share my work with the community or not. DOT.

-of

PS: I'm thinking of rpmfusion, but then I would have to maintain packages in 3 places: company, fedora, rpmfusion... If I would maintain it only company internal, I would get bugreports only by our web developers - would reduce my work - not too bad, isn't it :-P