Re: CMake!

Braden McDaniel wrote:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
Callum Lerwick <seg <at> haxxed.com> writes:
On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 15:56 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:
If you want upstream to stop using libtool altogether, find a suitable replacement and convince the Automake developers to use it instead.
Why the h8? He was speaking in the context of "the state of the art" and
in my oh-so-humble opinion CMake is it. The whole of the Autotools stack
is very much... not.

+1

The suggestion to convince the automake developers to use something other than libtool is pointless, because automake should also go away, it's at least as obsolete, buggy, unable to maintain backwards compatibility, annoying, a massive time waster at build time and a major PITA for developers to code with as libtool is. The whole autotools stack sucks. It always did, we just didn't have anything better. We now do, so why are people still using autotools?

Some of the major design failures of the autotools:

[snip]

And we're done. This thread has become a place for build system zealots rant without any regard to finding a pragmatic solution to the problem at hand and without consideration for those who might wish to do so. Enjoy.

That's it, I'm hereby invoking Wayne Lord of the Malted Beverages to have y'all banned to heck :-)