Proposed discussion point (Re: Plan for tomorrows (20081008) FESCO meeting)

On 07.10.2008 18:12, Brian Pepple wrote:

/topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
this mail and I'll add it to the schedule.  You can also propose topics
in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

Seems we are about to get proper suppose for comps.xml in PK sooner or later; for details see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg00381.html

Which brings us back to the following mail from last month (which resulted in a long discussion that afaics indirectly was one of the reasons for the new PK enhancements we'll get...)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-September/msg01813.html

The main two questions, where I'd really like to see advice from FESCo (or whatever committee feels responsible for this kind of task) how to move on:

- Which packages should be in comps.xml and which not? (¹)

- How do we make packagers add all their packages to comps.xml?

(¹) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CompsXml reads right now:
"""
If you maintain an application which makes sense for a user to select during installation, check out the comps module and make sure that your package is listed in a reasonable group in the comps-fn.xml.in files.
"""
A exacter definition of "makes sense to select" afaics really is needed; one example: Do users want to select command line app? I'd say the answer is "yes", but others will disagree. Same for -devel packages.

Further: I think the "during installation" part needs to be removed again.

(²)  According to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/PackageStatus/CompsF10Missing
"We have 2866 packages in comps-f10 file."
"We have 1711 packages missing"

I'm not sure those stats are correct, as we afaik have way more source and binary packages:

$ repoquery --repoid=rawhide -a | wc -l ; repoquery \
        --repoid=rawhide-source --arch=src -a | wc -l
14139
6300

CU
knurd

P.S.: There is a old FESCo schedule task that dealt with the same topic, but was forgotten during the Core and Extras merge:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/UseCompsProperly
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/ExtrasCompsXml

There is also a comps.xml SIG
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Comps_SIG