Re: Uniform Proxy Settings

seth vidal wrote:
On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 13:57 +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)
wrote:
Tim Lauridsen пишет:
Kulbir Saini wrote:
Hi list,

Whenever I try a new version of Fedora, the first problem I face is
setting the proxy. It seems for almost every application, I have to
specify proxy at a different place. We have this "System ->
Preferences -> Internet and Network -> Network Proxy" app to specify
proxy settings. But I wonder if there is some application which obeys
these settings.

Examples:

1. Yum (3.2.19-3.fc10) won't fetch proxy settings from above
specified location. It has to be set via proxy option in yum.conf or
http_proxy/ftp_proxy env variable.
The problem is that the above is Gnome thing, so it make sense for
gnome apps to use it, but yum a low level app there should work on all
systems, also sytems with no GUI.
Tim

Yes, but it is no problem for yum optionally check this settings if it
is available in system, right?

Rather than instrument all apps so they can follow all desktop systems'
mechanism for setting a proxy, wouldn't it make more sense to have a
common way that all the desktops set?

Can we make this a part of the packaging policy that if your package sets/gets or do anything with the proxy settings, then it should always set/unset/access the env variables like http_proxy, ftp_proxy, gopher_proxy so that we can achieve some uniform system?

-sv

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Web-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode

believed to be clean.