Re: unfrozen repo somewhere?

Chris Adams wrote:

So far I haven't seen anything in release notes that looks anywhere near as convenient as downloading a ready to run vmware image. The process to create a bootable USB looks like it requires a already-installed system, and I don't see any estimate of the disk space and time it will waste to do the 'install to hard drive' in a VM to get a writable system. I've also always had to track down hacks to make vmware tools work when I wanted to run fedora under vmware - is that still a problem?

With qemu/qemu-kvm, you can download and run the LiveCD ISO image with
"-cdrom /path/to/image.iso -boot d".  If vmware makes it harder than
that, then I'd say you should give an Open Source virtualization tool a
try.

It's easy enough to boot an iso or iso image file. But that won't be writable.

If you really want to make a disk image to run from, you can set up an
empty disk image file (allow several gig, but the qemu qcow2 image type
only uses more-or-less what you use under the virtual image, so you can
allow 10G or more and let it grow on demand), boot the ISO image, and
transfer to the disk image.  That isn't but a couple of extra steps and
a few minutes of work (since you don't have to wait for CD/DVD seeks).

Doing a couple of extra steps and wasting disk space is one thing for something I expect to be able to use. Doing it frequently to test something that probably isn't ready for prime time is something else. My point was, and is, that if you'd like more testers it would probably help to eliminate those extra steps that each would have to repeat.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx