Re: please deactivate services by default!

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
Chris Adams wrote:
I always thought it was odd that some things (e.g. telnet) block root
logins but others (e.g. ssh) don't.  I can telnet in and then su and the
password is just as much in the clear as it would have been with
straight root-login-telnet.

telnet needs to go. I haven't installed the daemon for ages, and for some
time before had it disabled. The client comes handy to check out text-based
protocols, though. But perhaps netcat is a replacement here...

Hard to say; I occasionally use telnet to talk to HTTP servers, and it can be used for some MUD's I think (though better clients often exist). At work, I need it to deal with some machines that don't have ssh :-(. I'm fine not installing it by default, but would prefer to see the package stick around.

I'd also be a bit hesitant about killing off telnetd entirely (i.e. totally removing the package; less so than removing the client, though), but I strongly agree with Horst that it shouldn't be /installed/ (and absolutely, not set up to accept connections!!) by default.

Maybe we should just deprecate telnetd and see who complains? ;-)

--
Matthew
"You know what Microsoft's problem really is? They've lost the ability to feel ashamed." -- Pamela Jones (Groklaw)