Re: Non-X text mode console

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 05:28 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Unless I've missed something huge, virtual terminals aren't going away.
> > What may or may not be going away is the x86 video BIOS text mode, to be
> > replaced with a kernel framebuffer, which precludes the use of console
> > fonts, which very few people ever mess with.  The console itself will
> > remain.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Framebuffer consoles support fonts.
>
> However they do not work on all machines, they do not work with a lot of
> screen reader technology and they don't work with many of the remote management
> cards.

If you can find a remote management card made in the last 10 years that
doesn't work with a Windows box on the other end, I'd be pleasently
surprised considering the market for such a thing wouldn't be large
enough to bother making it. Again screen reader technology, yes there
may be something from the DOS days, but how much Linux specific
screen-reader tech exists, where is the market for this?. So while I
think you might be right I'm not sure it will ever affect anyone, and if
it does they can boot text mode like they do now.

Dave.