Re: Fedora, meet OLPC. OLPC, meet Fedora.

Peter Robinson wrote:
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
These packages are either unavailable in Fedora, or are currently being
maintained, poorly, by overworked OLPC engineers who can't invest enough
time to do them justice. There are lots of simple issues that even novice
packagers could handle. Missing or broken dependencies. Creation of
dead-simple activity packages. And so on.
I think we need an overriding goal.  Can we get a Fedora Sugar Desktop
Spin for standard pc hardware on the map and a SIG organized around
that effort? Would that put the right people together in the same
headspace to start working on packaging activities?

A SIG wiki page in general would be good with things like a kickstart
file to build the client version and the server version. It would
allow easy testing for things like depedency creep for core packages
and the like.

Peter

I just wanted to mention [1] and [2]: In our last meeting (which took already place some time ago, maybe we should have one very soon), the Education SIG talked about the possibility of having a sugar-based education spin - [1] is the log. I have drawn up a roadmap [2], which also lists that possibility. At the time we had this meeting, we did some testing, but there were quite few Sugar / OLPC packages in Fedora... maybe all this helps to improve the situation there.

CU
Sebastian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education/Meetings/2008-05-09
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education/Roadmap