Re: Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Bill Crawford wrote:

I think you are missing the point.  Just because nVidia sucks, it
doesn't mean we have to make Fedora "suck".  This is linux, and it
should be possible to have a system which everyone can enjoy.  With
just a little bit of extra effort, a set of stable xorg rpms could
have been provided in a f9 testing repo for nVidia users to use
temporarily.  We can still make a distro which is friendly to nVidia
users without slowing down progress for everyone else.  I see this
mainly as a user friendliness issue more than an open source vs closed
source issue.  I hope Josh is correct and we will have some nVidia
drivers to test with soon.

How is providing a new, shiny Xorg making Fedora "suck", please?

It's all about interfaces, which are what permit programs to work together at all. They are contracts among cooperating programmers that when changed break everyone else's work and components. Changing an interface generally sucks, but shipping a freshly changed interface without publishing the new definition and giving cooperating entities time to re-do their work to match sucks even more.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx