Re: Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Jason Corley wrote:
Nicolas, I believe you're wrong. I can't find a single revision by devrim that syncs from the JPackage spec[1]_ to the Fedora spec.

Yes if you focus only on the current maintainer's history of
collaboration with JPackage you won't find any.  However the following
shows what used to happen:

I don't dispute that. But I am saying that a new maintainer took over the package. So there was no history of sharing changes with JPackage there. Continuity doesn't follow the package because there is no policy or guideline that says that java packages have a special relationship with JPackage. the maintainer was just following the best practices that they had established by working on other packages in Fedora.

Fedora is a community of packagers. Those packagers have different styles of packaging and working. Where we need to, we unite those styles with Packaging Guidelines and FESCo Policies. Until we have a policy that specifies that certain classes of packages must use JPackage as upstream this kind of thing will happen as packages go through different maintainers.

-Toshio