Re: Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Xorg 1.5 missed the train?
From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun 11 May 2008 10:38:39 AM EEST

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 22:32 +0300, George Billios wrote:
What went wrong here ? Even Adam Jackson's move to become the release manager of Xorg didn't make it possible to release 1.5 faster - and possible "buggier"!

Release numbers are for the ignorant.

And I thought they were for a purpose. Please name the next version of Xorg in Fedora 1.4.X.Y.Z . Besides you are not an 'ignorant', you will always know the real version right?

Upstream maintainer and people
closely following development think of a module as a list of new
features and current bugs, shrinking and growing by time.  If Adam
thinks it's fine to include a prerelease of xorg in Fedora, then, well,
it's fine.

You (and others here) miss the point, that not everybody is a developer, not everybody monitors the bug list but almost everybody can notice the word 'prerelease' in the F9 release notes and would like a reason why this happened.

Take this for example:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XserverOnePointFive

It mentions that it is a prelease version but it doesn't justify why including a prelease version is ok.

Just because we called it cairo 1.6.0 didn't make it any better than
1.5.20.  In fact it was worse.  We had to release 1.6.2 the day after to
fix a bad bug introduced in 1.6.0, and yes, had to release 1.6.4 on the
same day, to fix a really bad bug introduced in 1.6.2.  1.5.20 on the
other hand, was in release-candidate state for a week with no major
issues reported...

Well that is the problem of the developer not the user.

behdad