Re: FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

<ignore previous nonsense reply I accidentially did ctrl+enter instead of just
 enter>

Brian Pepple wrote:
I received the following proposal from Karsten Hopp, which he would like
FESCo to make a decision on during this week's meeting (2008-05-08).
I'm forwarding it to the list, so that people can weigh-in on it.

---

We are currently shipping an insane number of compatibility autofoo
packages which haven't seen any upstream maintenance for many years:

autoconf213-2.13-18.fc8.noarch.rpm   (9 years)
automake14-1.4p6-15.fc7.noarch.rpm   (6 years)
automake15-1.5-23.noarch.rpm         (7 years)
automake16-1.6.3-14.noarch.rpm       (6 years)
automake17-1.7.9-11.noarch.rpm       (4 1/2 years)

PROPOSAL: I'd like to keep just the following packages and would like to
have release engineering to block the older packages from Rawhide:
autoconf-2.61-10.fc9.noarch.rpm
automake-1.10.1-2.noarch.rpm

This gets a big +1 from me

This is the complete list of rawhide packages requiring those ancient
autofoo packages, it is rather short and it should be doable to convert
those packages to current autofoo:

automake17 cegui-0.5.0b-7.fc9.src.rpm

Thats mine now a days, but I have no problem with fixing this.

They also
should make sure if it is really necessary to run p.e. automake at all
during the build process.

Yes, quite often when adding a simple -lfoo or something like that its quite easy to patch both the .ac / .am file as the generated files, which is often better as regenerating autoxxx generated files on old unmaintained .ac / .am files can often (silently) introduce all kind of interesting (new) bugs.

So its really much better to try and not regenerate autoxxx files during the build ever. There is a reason why these files are part of the tarbal and not regenerated automatically during a ./configure && make even when the tools to regenerate them are present.

Regards,

Hans