Re: Orphaning package

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 00:23 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:49:51AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > Can you email the issues you're having to
> > fedora-extras-steering@xxxxxxxxxx please?  Perhaps we can look them over
> > and find an amicable way to solve them for everyone involved.
>
> Looking at te bug reports Alain posted in another mail, there seems to
> be 2 issues. One is that he has proposed patches for packaging issues
> for years without being heard. The second is, in my opinion, a less
> problematic issue of a bug being closed to rapidly.
>
> The first one is, in my opinion, a contributor killer issue and I have
> been reporting it more than once. It is not acceptable to have packagers
> not handling rapidly bugs where submitter proposes patches, or volunteer
> to take care of the issue. FESCo should really come up with a guideline
> or a solution for such issues, which is not a case-by-case decision.

Why?  Grr!  It does not take someone from FESCo to draft such a thing.
Anyone, yes ANYONE, can draft something and ask FESCo to ratify it.

Now, frankly I'm not sure something outside of the existing AWOL
procedure is needed at all.

> It is especially frustrating when a contributor has done some work and
> still the package maintainer doesn't seems to care at all about it.

I agree.  Open CVS ACLs and co-maintainers _should_ help lessen the
occurrence of this.  However, that is still up to the primary maintainer
to decide, and we have to take exceptions as they come.

josh