Re: Mono Package audit

David Nielsen wrote:

I'll just comment on the ones I own:

    .. _banshee: Boo.dll files are in an Extras/Boo directory.  May be
    able to
                disable at buildtime.  Note in spec that Boo does not
    build on ppc

Actually Nant does not build on ppc (well 0.86-beta 1 does but look what happened when we tried that), no Nant means no ppc for Boo. Regardless when Banshee 1.0 can be rolled out this should not be an issue anymore as one of the goals as been to remove all those bundled wonders. I am inclined to think the best option is waiting and letting the problem solve itself upstream. Upstream is very friendly and on a mission to destroy these anyways.

I'm definitely okay with this for libraries which are simply bundled (ie: the package is shipping the source for an external library and is compiling that before installing it.) It makes sense that we wait for an active and friendly upstream to complete changes they've already planned to do something we want. This appears to be the case for the sources in banshee-0.13.2/ext and some of the libraries in banshee-0.13.2/src/Extras.

In the Boo case, though, there's a set of precompiled Boo libraries in banshee-0.13.2/src/Extras/Boo/ which are not accompanied by any source. This is more problematic as we have no way to audit those precompiled bits. Are they Boo? Are they a trojaned Boo? Are they secret government plans to bring about Armageddon masquerading as a .dll? Unless you can read CIL byte code, there's no way of knowing.

-Toshio