Re: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Chris Snook wrote:
It also makes it much more difficult to troubleshoot those subsystems or work around their quirks. I wouldn't have a problem with ext3, jbd, or dm_* being built-in, but anything that deals with hardware should really be modular. Of course, that wipes out most of your list.

I'd really rather focus on optimizing modprobe than sacrificing the many benefits of modularity for a very small performance boost.

-- Chris

39 seconds normal boot time on my system with modprobe of all modules.

Now a measurement without modprobe:

# mkinitrd -f $(/sbin/lsmod |while read a b; do echo --preload $a;done|fgrep -v Module) /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

initrd now loads all used modules and we can disable modprobe:

# mv /etc/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules.bak

Now the boot time is 36 seconds.

So, you can shave off a maximum of 3s with modprobe optimization on my system. Also a "small" performance boost.