Re: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Harald Hoyer wrote:
Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the kernel cuts down my boot time from 42s to 32s on my computer:

ata_generic
ata_piix
cdrom
dm_mirror
dm_mod
dm_snapshot
dm_zero
ehci_hcd
ext3
floppy
i2c_core
jbd
libata
mbcache
ohci_hcd
parport
parport_pc
pata_acpi
scsi_mod
sd_mod
sg
snd
snd_mixer_oss
snd_page_alloc
snd_pcm
snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq
snd_seq_device
snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_oss
snd_timer
soundcore
sr_mod
uhci_hcd

It also makes it much more difficult to troubleshoot those subsystems or work around their quirks. I wouldn't have a problem with ext3, jbd, or dm_* being built-in, but anything that deals with hardware should really be modular. Of course, that wipes out most of your list.

I'd really rather focus on optimizing modprobe than sacrificing the many benefits of modularity for a very small performance boost.

-- Chris