Re: inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

 On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:56:40 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

 > I'm open to better ideas, though - should we ship a trimmed inittab
 > that contains *only* the initdefault line? Should we introduce a new
 > configuration flag somewhere else? Does it really matter in the long
 > run?

 At the very least leave an inittab file that contains a note that it
 is not used anymore. Much better than having to find out the new
 structure on your own.

Dear god yes.. and we will probably still have every sysadmin, book,
and out-of-fedora package that places stuff in /etc/inittab for serial
ports, etc yell every 2 seconds on fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx, etc that
Fedora-9 borked their setup.

+1, it is an issue... Most often people switch to another distro in such cases :(

Whether it is possible to save /etc/inittab, as an additional "legacy" config file? Perhaps it could be fine to have some special "service" under upstart, which read the /etc/inittab (if present) and perform all the tasks which are still defined in the old sysv way...

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy