Re: Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Dmitry Butskoy <buc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Jesse Keating wrote:
Again, the time to install the few extra packages is trivial.  Minutes.
And in the real world you don't get extra credit for finishing 10
minutes faster,
Not agree. I am working in production 24x7 environment, where 10 minutes cost too much...

If it is a "production 24x7 environment", then you either build a new
system and swap over or use kickstart to automatically build a
pre-tested and pre-configured setup.  If 10 minutes matter, you don't
wait for someone to click and choose install options and then manually
configure things.

Do not take me so literally. I did not say that the text-install is more fast for all. I meant that for "skilled enough CLI user" some things could be faster when he/she does not use GUI. In some (perhaps specific) production environments it matters...

~buc