Re: Fedora 9 Beta, PackageKit and system-config-printer

Richard Hughes wrote:
Things like enabling updates-testing repository to quickly grab a new package, enabling a repository for a particular session when it is otherwise disabled

That we can do already.

pointing to a local mirror or different source for a repository

Is that a common use case?

In my environment, yes. I have a lan mirror that lags a few days behind the master Fedora mirrors at times so If I want to grab a new package that is been available very recently, I switch to master mirrors. Then I have a custom repository in a portable hard disk I switch to on occasions. Since I am playing a lot with fedora spins these days I have a need to do this often. Maybe not be a common use case in general. Certainly useful for me and I suspect others do a lot of similar things judging by the number of questions we get in user forums regarding this.

switching between base url and mirror list etc are things I do pretty often.

Why do you do this out of interest?

To grab the latest package when it hasn't reached the mirrors. There is a delay that can be significant depending on which mirrors you are hitting. Some users just stick with the base url but I switch back to mirror lists because I don't want to hammer the master.

Rahul