Re: kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason...

darrell pfeifer wrote:
2008/3/10 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxx>:
This has been going on of depending on kernels shipped with FC6-8 I
 noticed it...
 ( HW: Dell inspiron 6000 ) ( yes with the latest kernel FC8 )

 Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason bX on CPU 0.
 You have some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus.
 Dazed and confused, but trying to continue....

 Can we fix this messages somehow it's kinda misleading, it
 suggest that the hw is failing when in 99% it's a buggy driver..

 When I read "You have some hardware problem" I think
 my hardware is failing and I need to backup my data
 and replace the part that is failing....

 Better would be..

 Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason bX on CPU 0.
 I have been feed [ driver X ] buggy driver ...
 Dazed and confused, but trying to continue....

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a radeon card, using latest rawhide.

As I mentioned yesterday, I had seen these errors a few months ago but
they went away.

Yesterday I had 3 NMI's in the space of about 4 hours. In each case, I
had just selected a menu or submenu and it had just finished being
drawn to the screen.

I turned off compiz and haven't had an NMI all morning. If you're
using compiz you might want to give that a try.

That does tend to point to a buggy driver.

darrell

Check what the temperature is showing you next time you receive the messages..
I'm not using compiz... :)

Best regards..
                  Johann B.