Re: Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le Mer 12 mars 2008 12:29, Dmitry Butskoy a écrit :
Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
 * Ban unicode in package names (no draft submitted)
  * Not accepted

Oops...
The example of such an unicode name used is "écolier-fonts" .

Then consider any user in non-latin1 locale. For example, my locale is
Russian. I have no "é" on my keyboard...

An ascii-only alias is provided in the spec file

You mean "Provides: foobar" ?

I mean I cannot operate with such a filename (with foreign sumbols) in my local copy of the Fedora repository. As well as a sysadmin of the primary Fedora sites cannot operate with such filenames, when people from "another World" (non Latin1 only) start to add their native-named packages into the common Fedora repo.

(Surely if you are not going to deprecate all non-latin language for this usage of unicode).

I prefer "Provides(de): foobar" etc., as for "Summary" or "%description". Maybe even:

Name: foobar
Name(de): foobar
Name(ru): фубар

but the RPM filename should be named by the primary "C locale" name.

IMO all ideas here should follow the spirit of gettext(3) (LANG, LC_MESSAGES, etc.etc.etc)

~buc