Re: default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Duane Clark wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:

I think most users of disks more than a little under 20G would ultimately be unhappy with that. I think I'd skip separate /home if HD size less than 19G.
So, something like this:

less than 19G -> up to 1G swap, balance /
19G-35G -> 8G /, up to 2G swap, balance /home
more than 35G -> 12G /, up to 4G swap, balance /home

I would go way beyond that. Don't users install additional applications? I have more than 30GB of applications installed, though I will admit that is probably far from typical. I think for under 80GB of space, it should be a single partition. Over that, if you are going to go for this crazy scheme ;), make / at least 20G.

I'd split at around 40G, with 20 for /.

However, as a user, I can say that I will always use a single partition (as I have been doing since my HPUX and Solaris days).

How do you preserve your /home files when you upgrade? If you have a spare machine with lots of space to rsync back and forth or some other quick backup mechanism it's not a big deal, but not everyone has that.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx