Re: F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Chuck Ebbert wrote:
On 03/09/2008 07:07 PM, David Boles wrote:
Callum Lerwick wrote:
On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 17:41 -0400, David Boles wrote:
I don't think that "Aunt Tillie" should be using a bleeding edge Linux
distribution such as Fedora provides. And if "Nephew Johnie" installs
it
for her and she has problems with it that she can not deal with
herself I
think it is "Nephew Johny's" fault for installing it for her. What do
you
think?
I think you missed the point that this is just as painful for Joe Fedora
Developer and CS Major as it is Aunt Tillie.

"just as painful?" Do you mean the error or that "Joe Fedora Developer"
does not know enough to press a key and select the other kernel to boot? I
have often wondered why Fedora chooses to hide the other kernel. Maybe
"Aunt Tillie", with a little help, could see that 'kernel A' does not
work. Hmm... so maybe I should try 'kernel B'.

The first thing I do after installing Fedora is remove the "hiddenmenu"
line in /etc/grub.conf... why _is_ that the default, anyway??

Good question. I think its a terrible idea to hide the menu, and I've posted to at least 5 forum questions where the user simply didn't realize pushing a button at the hidden menu would let them see their windows install... "omg Fedora install does not let me boot windows".

A pretty menu, but at what cost?

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net