Re: Updates using idle bandwidth

>I'm not clear on whether the 'throttle' and 'bandwidth' configuration would
>apply to yum-updatesd.  It would still not be a dynamic adjustment but if users
>knew how this worked it might be a good enough solution.

That would not be the solution in real sense. What if someone wants to download another important file? A mechanism is needed to stop downloading the updated packages when the file is being downloaded. When it is done, we can resume updating the system.

> We have TCP Low Priority¹ congestion algorithm in kernel. yum-updatesd
>should request it on downloading socket via setsockopt(), as per commit
>bc0efe7b46174fa3cadf00ac64e4a7
51cc4619fd .

This might help me. Could you please provide me some more pointers?

>One problem I see with this is that bandwidth statistics from are reset when
>you reboot the machine. Unless you keep the machine up all the time it will lose track
>of the exact amount of bandwidth used up. Maybe another daemon will need to keep track of
>this?
We actually don't need this kind of thing. For example, if currently 60% of the bandwidth is in usage, 40% is idle, we can use this idle bandwidth to download updated packages.Once the list of updated packages has been prepared, we can start downloading them and if the user shuts down the machine, next time we can resume downloading the packages where we left off. In this way user would never feel that the system is actually being updated, he or she will just get the message that "The system has been updated.."

Problem is this requires server support from where the packages are coming. Each repository server would require to support asynchronous file transfer..I am doubtful here..