Re: Updates using idle bandwidth

seth vidal wrote:
On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 15:29 -0500, Sunil Ghai wrote:
Hi,
We currently have yum-updatesd to check for the updated packages
automatically. Even to download and install them, if marked. Yum has a
throttle option which fixes the upper limit of maximum bandwidth
usage. How about fixing the upper limit dynamically depending upon the
current usage of bandwidth? i.e to download the packages using idle
bandwidth.
Those who have limited or slow Internet connection in many developing
countries, need to download packages without feeling noticeable
changes in other applications. e.g in browsing or downloading some
another important file. This way updates would be ready to install
without suffering slow internet connection meanwhile.
I am interested in implementing this, but problem is this would need
the support of repository server(s) to transfer files asynchronously.
Will it be possible?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas#head-f245bfb86b1ec5544b203dd977ee4ceb1318ce9f

You can have yum-updatesd just download but not install the pkgs - which
may help it.

-sv

man yum-updatesd.conf does not specify if its possible to set a bandwidth limit on this only. Is it possible to have yum-updatesd use a bandwidth limit but not have it set on yum when run manually?

I'm not clear on whether the 'throttle' and 'bandwidth' configuration would apply to yum-updatesd. It would still not be a dynamic adjustment but if users knew how this worked it might be a good enough solution.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net