Re: Locales (WAS: How important are ISO standards)

"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Simple rule... if you are not in North America.. avoid using en_US for anything.
>Aren't there other English locales available at install time?

Not in a useful way, no.  It's possible to add, for example, English (UK)
language support, but that doesn't alter the LANG setting in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n.

If you choose English as your installation language you get en_US.UTF-8
in LANG and have to change it post-installation if that isn't suitable.

I can understand that it may not be reasonable to support arbitrary
combinations of locale information at install time, but getting the
region correct seems a pretty fundamental requirement.  (Especially
when it affects things like paper size.)

Ron