Re: request: can somebody please port googleearth-package to fedora?

Andrew Farris wrote:
On 07/02/2008, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Christopher Brown wrote:
On 07/02/2008, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been meaning to do this myself for a long time, but I've just got a lot of other higher priorities. I don't suppose I could implore someone
else into doing the work for me?  Shouldn't be real hard.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to append a teeny little kickstart
postscript, and then end up with a livecd or system that has GE
installed for all users?

http://packages.debian.org/etch/googleearth-package
It doesn't have an open source license so can't be included in Fedora
of course. Which makes it OT for this list IMO.
I suspect this is a point you understand, but for the sake of clarity
I'll highlight-

The "googleearth-package" package/.deb/[theoretical .rpm], absolutely
DOES have an open source license.

What the _tool_ that it _provides_, does, is to generate a
non-open-source rpm from a simple commandline invocation and network access.

Please, it's fine if you don't want to be the one to do this, but from a
legal and open-source perspective, I think that
googleearth-package*.[s]rpm belongs in fedora just as much as the
current .deb belongs in debian.

I'm not so certain of your assertion that this belongs in fedora is true. The script that Hans de Goede wrote to do roughly the same thing for game content is pretty controversial and that has the benefit of downloading closed content for an open source engine. Having something that does the same for GoogleEarth which is a closed source engine working with closed data could very well cross the line.

Well I don't know why you couldn't, but I think what livna is doing in this area is a superior solution anyway.

+1

-Toshio