Re: Heads up: openldap rebase for Fedora/devel

Warren Togami wrote:
If most apps build fine against the new openldap, please do not provide a compat-openldap package. If there is huge API breakage then we need to discuss the possibility of a compat-* package.

The old compat- package providing 2.2.x libraries survived from FC5 to F8, I just wanted to continue with the tradition :). I will remove it when everything works with openldap-2.4.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule
You are being far too cautious about breaking things in rawhide, especially this far before the Alpha1 development freeze.

Please build yourself the new openldap locally in mock, and test for yourself whether every package rebuilds cleanly against the new version within mock.

Compilation of big desktop things like kdebase and evolution is something I want to avoid on my machine, even in mock. That's why I asked appropriate maintainers to do so. Unfortunately koji does not provide chain-build with --scratch option :(.

If the dependent package rebuild testing shows few problems, go ahead with upgrading the version even before December. The sooner during this rawhide cycle the better, to stabilize before Alpha1.

Of course, I will release it as soon as I am sure I do not seriously break anything.

Jan