Re: Heads up: openldap rebase for Fedora/devel

Jan Safranek wrote:
Upstream recently released new minor (2.4.x) version of OpenLDAP
package: http://www.openldap.org/software/release/announce.html

You can see there list of changes. From development point of view I did not notice any difference, the API should be the same as in previous version.

I'd like to update openldap in devel to the new version. Many packages depend on openldap, so I will provide compat-openldap package, which will provide 2.3.x libraries and no recompilation of any component would be required.

Why provide compat-openldap if the API's are the same, as you say?

The reason we occasionally provide an old compat version is when too many apps don't BUILD against the new version of the library. It is an anti-goal in Fedora to keep a compat-* library entirely for the sake of avoiding rebuilds.

If most apps build fine against the new openldap, please do not provide a compat-openldap package. If there is huge API breakage then we need to discuss the possibility of a compat-* package.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule
You are being far too cautious about breaking things in rawhide, especially this far before the Alpha1 development freeze.

Please build yourself the new openldap locally in mock, and test for yourself whether every package rebuilds cleanly against the new version within mock. It is good enough if *most* other rawhide packages are easily rebuildable against the new openldap at the time it is upgraded in rawhide. Work with the owners of the dependent packages to prepare for rawhide inclusion and to be sure all packages are rebuilt against it after it completes.

If the dependent package rebuild testing shows few problems, go ahead with upgrading the version even before December. The sooner during this rawhide cycle the better, to stabilize before Alpha1.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx