Re: F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Olivier Galibert wrote:
On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 09:48:33AM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
A live CD install on servers? You're walking all over your use cases :)
Does the live CD install istelf have a prominent advisory "Avoid using
LiveCD for these cases [see http://... for explanation]" ?

This may be fallout from "Fedora Project does not distribute CD images."
Physical media are comforting to administrators (changing the bits is
easy to detect and prevent), many servers lack DVD, creating a local repo
can be a hassle, install from network drive is not widely understood
(and when it doesn't work it is hard to figure out how to fix.)

Actually it was a fallout of "the livecd fits and boots from my 2G usb
key, the dvd doesn't".  I didn't realize the livecd was supposed to be
laptop-only.

Creating a local repo with any local changes requires having a machine
with f8 installed already so that you can run createrepo.

Did anyone establish whether or not you can do an NFS install by pointing at a directory containing the dvd iso image like you used to be able to do with the set of cd images? I thought I saw a message saying that no longer worked, which sounds pretty sysadmin-hostile too. What's the right way to download one copy somewhere and install several machines from that image?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx