Re: When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:12:43 +0100
Christopher Aillon <caillon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I personally, as a packager, do not care whether we stay with CVS or move to another "more better" system. My packaging work flow for the most part is satisifed with CVS. But also keep in mind that much of
the current package workflow has been defined by the limitations of
CVS. Our current faux-branching scheme was in part done because of
CVS, for example.

I don't disagree at all, and I completely agree with the rest of your
message, which is why I'm so interested in what kind of new and amazing
workflow we might be able to find with a new VCS.  The same workflow
with a different VCS might gain you a few little nice things here and
there, not used by most people.  But if we can create a more compelling
workflow with better tools, then that's really something to talk about.

Then I wonder if this is something our usability people like Bryan want to get involved with. I'm not sure how to best determine the ideal workflow. Doing so on a mailing list is probably the wrong approach, though.

PS - Apologies. I somehow misread your post I replied to as pro-CVS, even though common sense should have dictated otherwise. Shame on me for doubting.