Re: KDE logout options with F8

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Besides my point was that if users select GNOME they should get GDM and if users select KDE, they should get KDM. Is anyone willing to respond to that?

Sure, here you go: a display manager is a security sensitive piece of
code. Shipping multiple just because their names start with a letter you
don't like is not a smart move, because you end up doing twice the
security errata.

We are already shipping multiple display managers in our repository and KDM is already the default if you use KDE spin of Fedora. Only in the Fedora DVD, is GDM the default. The security argument only applies if we aren't shipping the package in the repository at all. As it stands, we have to provide a security errata if there are security issues in KDM anyway. So what matters here is only what is the default.

If you read why this thread started, it is because there is a regression in functionality if GDM is the default in KDE (ie) users lose the shutdown, hibernation buttons etc. Dismissing that regression by saying that it merely because of a letter is ignoring a actual problem.

Rahul