Re: Mass Branching for F-8 (round 2)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:
This was our first trial of using pkgdb completely for the branching of
the system.  We have identified some parts where we could possible
speed things up for the next time we mass branch so I expect it to go
faster next time, however if our package growth rate continues the
speed ups we get may be surpassed by just branching that many more
packages.

Out of curiosity, in the next iteration of branching-time, will it be (or is it already?) possible for a maintainer to request that pkgdb branch their, or ideally, all of their, packages? It seems to me that a packager could kick it off, knowing they're not going to make any modifications to their packages until the branching finishes, thereby reducing the need to actually lock CVS activity? (Okay, some coordination with comaintainers would be necessary, but it could still be a good idea.) Unless I'm missing something (always a possibility, and often a likely one), that would minimize the time needed for the mass branching.
 Thoughts? :-)

     Jima