Re: remove readahead from default package set (was Re: should readahead allow generic paths?)

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Eric Sandeen (sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 09:20 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

Tossing a default list out there and hoping for the best probably won't
work, at any rate.
So are we going to get your fixed lists into F8 ?

Well, part of the problem is that "my" fixed lists may not be everyone's
fixed lists - I generated a custom list from *my* boot sequence.  Coming
up with a good default list that actually speeds *everyone's* boot time
is another issue.  If we think it's worth the 4 second or so boottime
reduction, maybe some way to automatically generate the custom lists
during firstboot might be an option.  But then, they will rot over time...

Given that, is there any reason to ship it on by default at this point?

Bill

Relatively simple solution:
1) Ship readahead with template lists. This includes a list of commonly used stuff. It could include wildcards like /usr/lib*/firefox*/foo in order to handle multilib and version numbers changing. 2) During firstboot and occasionally after boot, something generates the actual readahead file lists based upon several factors like:
   - is the file actually installed?
   - is the service enabled?

Later improvement:
3) Sometime later, more intelligent software could be included to help a user update their readahead lists based upon their own software usage patterns.

Unfortunately, not enough time to implement #1 and #2 before F8, even though they are pretty simple and easy to test.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx