Re: Root login in rawhide and display managers

Bill Crawford wrote:
On 24/09/2007, David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I said the other, and I still feel this way, was that *if* you are
the qualified admin of this system you should know how to change the 'no
root GUI' default setting to allow root to login with a WM desktop. You
should not but you should know how to do this.

OK, how about making it an install-time option, checked by default?

Piling more options everywhere isn't really a good answer.

And if one can switch to a VT, login and run "startx" anyway, what's
the benefit, really, of disallowing root login except to make it
cosmetically more secure?

The amount of code running as root is significantly less in a VT compared to running a entire desktop environment as root user.

Rahul