Re: NetworkManager and "illegal" SSID chars = crash?

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Well, it's a really tricky problem.  I'd personally do:

try UTF-8 validation
try validation from the encoding in LANG
fall back to a lot of ? for unprintables

Perhaps asking the user for encoding would make sense.

The whole point of NetworkManager is to just work. Asking the user for anything is not something that should be done unless it is absolutely necessary, and the user can be expected to know it.

Asking for encryption keys is a valid thing to ask. Asking the user to be able to know encodings is just insane. Even I don't know what encoding most things fall into.