Re: Fedora & Sound: an excercise in frustration

On 7/20/07, Dimi Paun <dimi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Guys,

The sound situation is appalling: since FC6, my sounds stops/starts
working with pretty much _every_ kernel update! Don't worry, the
steady state is that it's not working. It will start working for a
short lived kernel version, but people are diligently working to
fix it back to its non-working state.

Hardware (bog standard):
  [root@dimi ~]# lspci | grep -i audio
  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

Software:
   Standard FC6, now F7

Symptoms:
   system-config-soundcard doesn't recognize the card, it will not even
   list it. FC6 was off/on, which the last kernel being on. Then I
   updated to F7, goodbye sound! I tried everything, nothing helped.
   No errors, logs, etc. Previous kernel somehow worked, it took me
   by surprise since I though it will be a cold day in hell before I
   see sound working. But I was happy nonetheless. Now the 3228 kernel
   fixed it again, its no longer recognized.

Which kernel was it working in?  Can you boot back into that kernel
and have it work?  If so will you send the dmesg from the kernel where
it works and the kernel where it doesn't work, as well as lspci -n.
Thanks,

Josef