Re: The updates firehose

2007/6/12, Christopher Aillon <caillon@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Till Maas wrote:
> On So Juni 10 2007, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> But there are always bugs.  Are we going to fix every one?  We need to
>> fix the important ones.  I don't think that pulling in every latest
>> version is important enough against a release.
>
> When an update that fixes an not very important bug causes a lot of work, e.g.
> a new python version, than imho it is worth waiting till the next release.
> Also, when there are no bug reports from Fedora users, than imho it is also
> ok to delay an update. What does a maintainer gain when he maintains an old
> version of a package in one release and a newer one in another instead of
> maintaining the same new version in both releases? Also there are cases, when
> a user cannot easiely upgrade to a new release, e.g. all zope users cannot
> use Fedora 7 afaik, because there is no Zope in Fedora 7 anymore. And last
> but not least it is also depressing to fill bug reports, when they are
> ignored.

I never said ignore them.  Respond timely.  Fix with discretion.  Users
for the most part are willing to accept that not every bug is going to
be fixed in the current version.

Are you really sure on that? Its atleast not true for me.

Actually one of the reasons i sticked with fedora back then is to have
a recent system. if it again starts to stall it will result in me
replacing half the system again with my own selfbuilt packages which
is basically the state i had 5 years ago. It would also open a reason
to actually start a 3rd party repository again to get things fixed
that are just stalled.

Basically i think that fedora should really reflect the current state
and that we have systems like yum-presto in place that prevent users
from downloading that big amounts of updates which is relevant for low
bandwidth users.

Personally i still find a few things here or there that are stalled
and that didnt get any updates since a while (see xchat at
releasetime... see libtorrent/rtorrent etc etc).

i think the amount of updates is rather unproblematic if there is a
proper qa process in place to prevent too many regressions.

If i wanted a more freezed state and backports of fixes instead lots
of feature updates i would definitely use a different distro.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl