Re: The updates firehose

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 04:05:00PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
Anybody else think we're issuing entirely /way/ too many updates? We've had 138 "stable" updates, and 177 current "testing" updates. If all those were to go stable, we're talking over 300 updates, in just over a week.

But is that different than at FC6 release time (I don't know, but I
assume it was similar if not even more)? We're not really doing
anything different that made updates increase, I would even think that
it is more difficult to pass updates since they have to be pushed
through bodhi.

You only feel like there are that many updates, because they are now
all using bodhi while before F7 only 1/4th (Core) would become visible
that way.

Seriously.  We're drowning our users in updates.  Are all of them
really necessary?  I feel like we've got this culture of update
whatever/whenever coming from Extras where it was just fire and
forget.  While that might be fun for the maintainer, is it fun for
the user?  Is it fun for the user with a slow connection?

I think Fedora's success is partly due to being updated that way.

I think the ugpradeability is a factor, but I think you've got it wrong. If every time someone built a change into rawhide, they also pushed a fix to F-7 for example because there's a new version of <insert popular app here>, then what's the point in upgrading to F-8 when that's ready?

Most extras packages have the same version across the board. I understand the pros of doing that, but do we really want to turn each Fedora release into the next RHL 7.3?