Re: Fedora and Cross Compiling

Oliver Falk wrote:
Good self introduction. Now we know, that you know what you're talking
'bout. :-)

I pretend well, anyway :-) I'll see if some more folks from my group will jump in here.

True. But is cross compilation really as reliable as native compilation
is? I'm not experienced with cross compilation... But I think some
errors will only occur on *real native hardware*...

Reliable? Sure. But there are problems unique to cross compiling which must be addressed. You don't want to pull in a host-header instead of a target-header. You also can't run the resulting executables so post-build testsuites can't be run. That said, object and executable generation is pretty much the same whether your cross compile or natively compile, so you're going to get functionally identical bits.

I think that's the same as with secondary arches. Yes, there must be
some team supporting the arch, if it's done via cross compilers or on
native hardware; But with one difference: The people who are involved in
the 2ndary arch stuff, might not be very experienced with cross
compilation; Like me and Alpha for example.

Right- I hope I'm not alienating the folks who want to bring Arm to the Fedora fold even if it means native compilation. New arches and cross compiling aren't directly related, but when you put them together successfully it's very beneficial, but not necessary. Still, I bet there are more people per capita in the secondary-arch camp interested in cross compiling than the primary arches.

I think for Alpha we will have enough fast machines that can get the job
done. I don't know about the other arches....

That's handy- how will you bootstrap?

If there are volunteers for a arch and you have some man power who can
support the ArchTeam, that would be great - I think. If the arch-team
doesn't want cross compilation..... Let 'em alone. :-)

I'm picturing more of a CrossTeam with a similar cross-sectional responsibility.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx