Re: Unwanted RPM dependencies

Steve G wrote:
I did have a thought on whether there exists a tool that can log/count file accesses on disk, and then provide reports on used v not used files that were installed by rpm ?

auditctl -a always,exit -S open -F success=1

(You'd want to the rule to /etc/audit/audit.rules for it to take effect after
booting.) Then to get the file usage summary report:

aureport --start this-month --file --summary --success

There are many attempts to open a file that doesn't exist, so you'd only want to
get the successful ones. This will take some disk space to record what is
accessed a lot. I think by default, the audit system will only occupy 32mb. You
may need to increase that.

Thanks Steve, I'll take a look.

DaveT.