Re: Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8. Was [ Re: Very much packages with fc6 tag instead of fc7 in the FC7 tree ]

(I feel like I was just in the middle of a thread just like this within
the past couple of days...)

> On 6/1/07, Christopher Aillon <caillon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Actually, many people do network installs.  I have no DVD burner so the
> > DVD ISO does me no good.  So I downloaded the boot.iso to load up
> > anaconda, and pointed the installer at the right places on the network.
> >   Much less downloading as you only update what you need.
>
> For people who do network based upgrades/re-installs......
> would it be feasible, and appropriate to provide a package in the F7
> repo which contained the F8 installer image as a grub entry for an F7
> system at the time of F8 release. So people could install that and
> reboot into the installer via their grub menu and do an upgrade via
> the installer..

Better even than having the installer image, just package up a script
(or even simple pygtk app) that asks where you're wanting to upgrade
from and then downloads the kernel + initrd from there and does the
rest.  This makes things far more general and more likely to work with,
eg, Unity respins, custom distros, etc.

Jeremy